Al Heet Cave

Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm Here!

Can you believe it-I'm in Saudi Arabia! I also can't believe that I misspelled words (there vs their) and misquoted time (not midnight in San Angelo--but noon when it's 8 pm here in the KSA).
I'll talk about my exciting trip later. I arrived--my luggage didn't--somehow it got delayed but I've been promised by the airlines (I won't embarass them yet) that my luggage will be delivered at 845pm Fri night. My sponsor and his wife were at the gate to greet me. Going thru customs the guards got a laugh because I took off my shoes--I swore I read that--they assured me I could keep my shoes on (I was tired and had taken off my shoes three times already).
When we got to the compound Lenny took me to the office and I got the keys to my villa! My villa with a small pool in the back and 4 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, formal LR / DR, informal LR with kitchen, washer/dryer room and an office (a real man looking office to conduct official business without the women interfering --haha)--this place is huge. The compound has a shopette, bowling alley, tennis courts, soccer field, gift shop, place to eat, buy travel tickets, beauty / barber shop and laundry / dry cleaning service.
My impression is a good one so far. It is dry. It is dusty (they had a dust storm earlier that day). I've only been off the compound when I was being picked up. I still have to get an iqama in order to get a driver's license so I can drive the company car (a Mazada). The expats that I've met have all been very friendly and seem happy to have a fresh face to talk to. Some expats have been in the KSA for 20 years! So they must enjoy the lifestyle, their job or the money--they enjoy something.
Laurie signed up for penny talk so she and Timmie can call me cheap. I really really enjoyed talking to them twice today.
OK stay tuned for more. My body can't figure out if it's tired or not. I'm going to bed and see what happens as I scan through the 30 TV stations that play everything from MTV to Hallmark.

3 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

Glad you made it safely Tim. We'll try to keep an eye on Laurie and Timmie for you.

Cliff said...

It's great to hear you arrived safely. Plus, it sounds like things are just how you hoped (maybe better). Twenty years living in the KSA as an expat, I never would have thought someone would remain an expat that long. Like you said, they must enjoy something. Can't wait to see Laurie and Timmie sometime soon (probably another month or so). Hey, do they celebrate Cinco de mayo in the KSA? :-) Take care big brother . . . Cliff

Tim said...

Everybody celebrates Cinco de Mayo--HA!