On Monday one of the Majors I work with said "Tim, you and King are invited to the party." Awesome--what party. The Major then talked to Lenny. The party was for Tues--that was all we knew at the time.
On Tues more info trickled down--information like we had to wear a suit and tie and rumors that some big two star Generals were going to be at the party. The time of the party was also given to us--830--Inshalla--in the evening was the start of the party. So Lenny picks me up in his 4-wheel drive at 745--we stay on the main roads since we're dressed up (no desert digging for us). We get to the place at830.
Wow! The restaurant looked like an old house built of straw and mud. There were some tables but mainly there were sections where men were just lounging around on the pillows and food and drinks are being brought to them. It was like being in a movie.
Our party had it's own private room. Remember these are men that I work with but this is the first time for me to see them in Saudi dress--they're always in their uniforms at work. It was just a little startling to see these desert warriors in their "normal" Saudi dress.
I walk into the private room and there's General Faisal--we found out it was just our work group that was at the party--lounging against the pillows. He gets up with a smile and shakes our hands and tells us to sit. I get to sit beside Zidan--my former student and now my friend. Oh I forgot to mention that before you sit you take off your shoes off outside the door.
So here I am a white boy from the South in my new grey suit, white shirt, the tie that Laurie picked out for me, in my socks sitting on the rugs and lounging against the pillows surrounded by Saudi men in their Saudi dress--wow! And all of them are speaking Arabic--except Z--he's speaking English to me to tell me about the history of Saudi, traditions, customs and a story about the trip he just took with his Mom (he really loves his Mom and I told him I love hearing stories about his family life--his Dad is obsessed with watching Fox News). It was just like being in an Indian Jones movie--or Lawrence of Arabia.
Drinks were ordered--they still find it amusing that I don't drink coffee or tea--and they ordered water for me--but the tea and coffee do smell really good. More chatting. Now the dates are brought out--sweet dates--and we eat them--and more talking. We got there at 830 and now it's 1030. Finally the main course arrives.
I've never seen so much food. Not even at a pot luck. First all of our plates are brought in--metal plates painted with flowers and other designs--then the cups, and silverware (yes they brought silverware) and finally four huge--and I mean huge--platters of rice with veggies and meat, bowls of more meat and veggies and then bowls with what looked like refried beans (Z told me that it was veggies mashep up with wheat). Everybody gets close to the food, sits crosslegged and just starts digging in--and the talking stops (except Z who was still telling me things--General Faisal smiled and told Z to be quiet so I could eat). Oh and the bread--wow the bread. Eat Tim eat. "Tim I told you not to eat breakfast or lunch"--General Faisal--"and what did you do." I ate two donuts"--me--laugher from everybody. We're eating and eating. I was told some of it was lamb and that some was camel--all I can say it that it was all delish!
So we're finished eating the main course and now we're drinking Pepsi and water and back to lounging againt the pillows. More tea. Now dessert. I get a coconut type pudding--and it was delish but I couldn't finish it all. I look at my watch at it's 1130. I ask General Faisal if we all get to come to work later--in my smiling kidding voice. The whole room laughs and the General with a smile on his face "Tim you have to be at work at 0630 to open" --more laughter.
Things start winding down. People are shaking hands with the General and I hear my name and chuckles--it was about coming in late. Lenny and I leave around midnight--Z walks us to our car--and we get home at 1230. Work starts at 0700 and we leave here around -0630--yawn--it's been a busy evening and I only have about 5 hours to sleep. But I couldn't go to sleep until I called Laurie and Timmie and told them about my Arabian Night.
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Now I have that Alladin song, "Arabian Nights" in my head. We should add that to your blog as musical background.
Glad you're having new and exciting experiences there. And thanks for turning down the temporary wife. Lol.
We love and miss you!
Why have a temp when I have the best?!
Temporary wife? What's that all about? You haven't been there long enough to start a harem yet, have you? ha ha ha
After I read this blog about the Arabian Nights and then started reading Laurie's comments, Cameron spoke and said the song "Arabian Nights" from Alladin is also what he was thinking about as well. How funny! He says it's kind of like reading the future, he knows what's happening next.
Sounds yummy, but all that food, did it all get eaten? What happens to the left overs? Sounds like plenty more to eat for the next several days.
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. I guess the dinner was a huge turn around from being stuck on the sand barrier.
Love ya!
Cliff
The food did not all get eaten. I don't know what they do with the leftovers--but there were no carry out boxes. There would have been plenty of food for two more parties.
It was a different adventure than getting stuck in the desert--haha. To me taking the bus and going to the shopping areas is an adventure!
Salaam Allekim (I hope I spelled that correctly).
Wow! great introduction to your new surroundings and expereicnce!
We're looking forward to having Laurie and Timmie for a short time before they rejion you.
Love,
Dad Wright
Sounds awesome Tim. Glad you are having fun. Laurie and Timmy came over tonight. We didn't eat as well as you, we had homemade pizzas. I sure miss you, and I'm starting to miss Laurie, and she hasn't even left yet. Take care of yourself.
Hiya Tim,
So would it be a complement or an insult if you got yourself one of the long robes and all to waer at parties?
In Germany more of the older people still wear the traditional garb of the lederhosen and dirdl. But for some of the younger people it is almost like a Sunday best. Most however wear cloths that could almost be in any big town USA. The garb is kinda slowly disappearing - something to wear at a fest or big event.
Good to hear you're having fun!
It's a shame you didn't have pictures of that, Tim. I don't know much about their culture - would they have considered that bad or rude for you to take pictures? It sounds a lot like a Polynesian feast. So much food, that afterwards you have no choice but to lay around and do nothing for hours, because if you get up and move you might explode.
Dad--Laurie and Timmie are going to have an awesome time with you all. I envy them.
Mary--I miss you too. You were my favorite person to Home Teach--really. But next year--Europe!
Phil--I asked if I could wear the thobe and was told "yes." They don't consider it an insult as long as you're respecting their culture. You know they have that rule about not showing the bottom of your feet. The General told me to go ahead and strech my leges if I needed to--so I did. Sitting cross-legged can be tiring if you're not used to it. The Saudi's told me that they're uncomfortable in chairs.
Ruth and Joe--Lenny took pictures of me. The Saudi men I work for are modern and don't mind their picture being taken. I think he even got a picture of all the food. Once Lenny downloads them he's going to send to me. He also has pics of us stuck in the desert--and I'm sure you want to see those--haha.
Post a Comment