Al Heet Cave

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Coffee or Tea

We Americans are so rush rush rush. 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do we ever slow down and enjoy life? Or do we try to cram life into the 30 days of vacation we get? I've traveled to a lot of countries in the 22 years I was in the Air Force and the one thing that I've noticed is that other countries slow down and enjoy life.
When I was in Italy there was a pizza place that made awesome pizza and had awesome shrimp and spinach. I was there one day picking up an order and said how much I liked the food. The girl told me thanks. I told her we would still be in Italy for another three weeks, etc.. Well she said they were closing for holiday. And they didn't close for just a week--they were closing for the month--everybody was going on holiday--the owner, the manager, the waiters, cooks--and all paid for the month. Now that's living.
Here I love going to what we call the site office (I'm not sure why we call it that). I work for a US company ATTI who has a contract with a Saudi company Advanced Electronics Company (AEC)that has a contract with the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF)--whew. AEC handles all my paperwork, pay, making sure that Laurie and Timmie get invited over, medical--everything. So I go to their office a lot--there's no such thing as e-mailing your request. But I really like going to their office.
When I walk in--and I've normally walked at least 1/2 mile in the dusty heat--they're all busy doing something--on the phone, filling out paperwork, filing something--just busy. But when I walk in they drop everything they're doing--"Timothy how are you today? Sit Timothy and have some tea--coffee--something to drink." I alway tell them "No" at first--I'm just here to drop something off or ask a question. "No Timothy surely you need something to drink." Then I get my water and they get some tea or coffee and we chat.
We chat about work, we chat about Timmie and Laurie. We chat about children, the weather--all sorts of things. Eventually we get to the reason I'm in the office--has my work permit come back yet, did my paycheck go to my US account (yes it did and Laurie is VERY happy), has the letter been sent for Laurie and Timmie to get their visa (no because I still don't have my work permit). Calls are made. Discussions in Arabic--sometimes heated. Then "Timothy we are working the situation. Tell me is there anything else I can help you with?"
It's just so laid back but civilized. I kind of like it--I don't like how long the process takes to get anything done. But these desert Warriors in their white thobes and red head dressing really do want to make sure you're feeling welcome in their office--coffee or tea--but for me water.
When I leave it's smiles and handshakes with promises that tomorrow something will happen--inshalla. Rashed normally walks me to the door, smiles his friendly smile, shakes my hand and asks if there really is anything else he can do. I always smile back and tell him that he's doing enough. More smiles, more promises of come back and have coffee or tea. Maybe I'll have my iqama Wed or Sat--inshalla. But I can always count on coffee or tea--or water for me.

4 comments:

Cliff said...

That's a great story. Does inshalla really mean "tomorrow something will happen" or is it more like the English "perhaps?" In Spanish you hear tal vez all the time which means perhaps. When you hear that things generally work out, but it might take awhile. Sounds similar to what you've experienced.

It's great to read about what is happening.

Cliff

Tim said...

Cliff--
Inshalla means "God willing." Bukra--I don't know if I spelled that right--means tomorrow. And there's a word that begins with M that means maybe. From what I've been told if you hear the M word--it really means "No." So--inshalla--I'll have my iqama soon.

Cliff said...

Okay, so I'm at home reading Heather and the family your blog and then I read my comment asking what inshalla means and before getting to your reply Heather says, "I think that means God Willing." I read your comment and she smiled. I thought it was funny. Of course I knew she was a smart cookie.

Hope all is well. Take care.

Cliff

Missy said...

The M word that means "maybe" but is just code for "no" is probably MOOM-kin. Wow, reading this blog is so surreal for me.
--Jay