Al Heet Cave

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Saudi Dress

As I was sitting in the Granada Mall today I looked around and wondered what it was about Saudi that made the people seem so foreign. For me it's the way they dress. When you come to Saudi or see pictures the men are in the white thobs with the red headress and black rope and the women are covered in black from head to toe. We expect that--but at the same time I think it makes us uneasy.
The men have a variety of clothes they can wear. There are Levis, Nike, Reebok, Timberland, etc.. But instead the majority wear the white thobe, headress and black rope. It's their culture. It's what they're used to wearing . But the clothes are so foreign. And yet the men look regal and warrior like in their thobe, etc.. I think that's what it is--we see someone that looks like a warrior and we're afraid. If they would just wear a pair of jeans it might put us at ease. But the Saudi men I've encourted have been very courteous, very nice and always willing to help. But there is a temper, an opinion, their way of doing something--all right on the edge--the warrior coming out.
The women on the other hand are just mysterious looking. They are covered from head to toe in black--with their eyes showing. They aren't warrior looking. Not really regal. They're just mysterious. What the heck are they wearing under that black? What does their face look like? I've caught a glimpse of jeans before. The malls are full of shops with the latest fashions--so the Saudi woman can very well dressed--they even have a Victoria's Secret type store in the mall. Today at the mall there was a woman of wealth and confidence--her high heels clicking on the marble and her face covered in a thin veil (like the kind brides wear on their wedding day). She stood straight and her abyaa fit her well--she was slender. But still she was mysterious.
I guess that's what fascinates me about Saudi--the dress. The men looking both regal and warrior. While the women in their black just look mysterious.

No comments: