I’ve always loved grocery shopping—or I think I always loved it. Mom would take me to the grocery store and I thought it was awesome. The card store—with all the potpourri and candles—get me out of there (now I appreciate the card store). But there this is whole different adventure while shopping for food.
We normally shop at Carrefour (the second largest in the world) or Danube—both are French. The shelves are all nicely stocked. Danube seems nicer to us—cleaner and higher class—kind of like a Target in the States.
As I was shopping the other day and was in the fruits and vegetables section I looked around—food from everywhere. Potatoes from Lebanon, grapes from Syria, garlic from China, watermelons from Saudi, avocadoes from the US (or Saudi—and the Saudi ones are so good—and much cheaper than the US) and so on. It was the UN of food.
Then I wandered down the other aisles—Coca-Cola from Saudi, Campbell’s soup, cereals from the UK and US, candy from all over the world and pasta from Italy.
The cheese counter—I’ve never seen so many different types of cheese—from the UK, France, Denmark (British cheddar—awesome—melts very nicely on Sheppard’s pie. Then there’s the spreadable cheese—I’m kind of scared of that.
The water aisle has water from New Zealand—and it does taste good. Of course there’s Evian and there’s even water from Saudi.
It just amazes me the variety of foods—and it is a variety—you should all the different rice. I love going grocery shopping here—everything is so fresh. I made homemade chicken soup with fresh chicken from Saudi, potatoes from Lebanon, carrots from Australia and onions from…I forget and broth from Campbell’s. It was yum yum good!
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Can you get good bread? We miss European bread!
Harmony--
We get the flat bread--fresh from the oven--but no European bread (or we haven't found any).
When we go to Paris next month we'll think of you all while we eat European bread.
Tim, it's rude to brag about your upcoming trip to Paris unless you're planning to take all of us with you. Because you are one of the least rude people I know, I am thanking you now for your gracious offer, and will look forward to getting the tickets in the mail. You're the best!
Post a Comment