Al Heet Cave

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Friend

Tonight we were in one of the malls—had just finished buying Timmie some pants (he’s become a GAP kid) and we were eating. We were chatting and looking around. I saw this Saudi man with his family. He was looking at me—a slight smile on his face and a small wave.
I looked—he seemed familiar—but who was he. I gave a small wave back. Laurie asked me if I knew the man. I was about to answer her that I wasn’t sure—and then….I realized who it was. It was a Saudi officer student of mine—when I used to instruct at Goodfellow. Then he was Capt Misfer—now he’s a Maj.
I’d never seen him in Saudi dress. He had the same easy going attitude and smile. He seemed happy to see us. He chatted with Timmie. Of course he and I chatted. I got to see Misfer’s three beautiful children. It was just awesome to see him.
Misfer asked me how long I’ve been in Saudi. I told him 6 months—he said it was time I started wearing a thobe. I chuckled at that.
He and his family and are going to be here for 4 months. Laurie and I are going to make a special effort to have them over.
Wow! It was awesome seeing a friendly and familiar face in the big bustling city of Riyadh.

No comments: