When I was provided a contract to come over here one of the lines said that the company would provide transportation. That could have meant anything from a bus to a carpool. So I was curious as to what kind of transportation. The company, AEC, gives us cars to drive--awesome. I’m one of the few that does carpool—and that’s ok.
The cars that we get are all Toyota. A lot of people have the Camry but some of us have the Corolla. I'm not in love with the Corolla but I'm not going to complain about a free car and gas ( get 100SAR a month for gas—and I’ve never turned in receipts for that much and I drive all over Riyadh—work, shopping, eating out, the school to pick up Laurie and other places). I'm also not going to complain because the company provides a mechanic to take care of the cars. You read right--a mechanic.
When the Corolla reached a 1,000 km I called the mechanic. His accent is a little heavy and it was a little difficult to understand him at first. What I figured out was that he would meet me at the compound and pick up the car--awesome (or brilliant as my UK friend would say). He called me when he got here and I meet him at the gate--gave him the car and off he drove. I found out that I should have asked for a “trader” car while he had mine--live and learn. The mechanic brought the car back the next evening.
Two weeks ago I had a flat tire--bummer. I called the mechanic and he said he would come and fix it--then he realized he can't come onto the base. I told the mechanic not to worry--I would change the tire and then he could come and pick up the flat when I got home. I did and he did. That day he also asked me how many km were on the car and I told him 6,000--which meant it was time for its next check. But the timing wasn't convenient for either of us. I asked if I could wait until the break (which is from today until 11 Oct for me—if only I had gotten our exit / entry visas we could have gone somewhere—I’ll know better for next year) and he said yes.
Today I got a phone call--it was the mechanic. He said he would come and get the car at 330--but this time I told him I was going to need a "trader." The mechanic called again at 330--he was here. So I drove to the gate. He was in a new 2008 Hyundai Sonata--wow is it nice. We traded.
Just another perk about being here--someone picks up the car the company is providing, gives you a "trader" and brings your car back after he's finished. What a great thing--to have the mechanic pick up and deliver the car from your house--brilliant.
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow. Jeff could totally handle that kind of mechanic service. For, that matter, so could I.
Post a Comment