Al Heet Cave

Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Laurie!

Laurie's birthday was 12 Sept--Fri. I won't tell how old she is--but she's high 30's--the highest 30 you can be without being 40 (that'll be next year). I wanted to make sure that Laurie had an awesome birthday. That was something of challenge during Ramadan--remember most stores are closed during the day. I'm used to being able to go to Target, Bath and Body and I'm done.
I had a vision of what I wanted to get Laurie--clothes, jewelry, chocolates, bubble bath--you know the good stuff. Laurie had her vision--a computer, something about ink for the printer--and other stuff I can't remember. As usual our visions didn't match.
Timmie and I went out at 7pm on Wed night--surely the progressive Kingdom Mall would be open. Traffic was very light. We got to the mall quickly. Parking was plentiful--that should have been a sign. We go into the mall--all the stores are closed. Then we heard prayer starting. We decided to drive around for a while looking at the lights. Timmie talked to me about life, school and other topics (I really enjoyed being with him). After a while he said he was tired and could I take him home--so I did. By this time it was 8ish. Laurie was in bed--something about being tired--I wasn't really paying attention. I gave them both kisses and told them I was going back out. Out I went.
It was 845ish. The traffic was heavier. Lots of cars playing loud music. Lots of younger guys driving--teenage looking. The good news--all the malls were open. The bad news--Marks and Spencer didn't have what I was looking for. Now I'm about to panic. I go to my favorite mall--the Hyatt Mall.
I wandered around Hyatt trying to get inspired. I did. I found a shop that had awesome smelling bath gel. The desert warrior was a good salesman. I bought 4 and then he wrapped them in a box with a ribbon--very nice. Ok one gift--but I wanted others.
I spotted a Chinese store. Went in. The Chinese guy was so nice I felt like I had to buy something. I bought Laurie a cloth jewelry box and Timmie a small dragon (he's our dragon). Ok I'm starting to feel better. Off to Danube.
Danube has the best--yes the best (so far)--cakes that I've ever eaten (Ruth--the cakes are such a temptation!). The most delish cakes! I both a huge cake with chocolate ganache, chocolate squares and chocolate covered strawberries on the outside--inside it was three layers of chocolate cake with a light creamy filling--wow. It was a beautiful cake. I'm feeling a lot better--but I still needed one more thing. Then I remembered--Laurie mentioned that she wanted the Wii Fit. AND the guy I work with--Lenny--had told me the day before that Jarir had the Wii Fit. Now I'm off to Jarir. And the time--around midnight and I've been shopping for 3 hours.
I had to go to two Jarir's--the second one knew what I was talking about and helped me find it. Wow! I bought the last one. I was so excited to see how Laurie would react to this gift.
I got home and unloaded the gifts and cake. I looked at the clock--0130--yes--it was 0130. You should see the streets--full of cars. So much honking. Music blaring from the cars--this was a whole side of Riyadh night life that I hadn't seen before and I loved it.
I hid the gifts in the maid's room--under the bed--and put the cake in the fridge. The next day was Thursday. I showed Timmie the gifts--he was impressed. We ended up giving Laurie all of her presents that evening. She loved them all. Then we had a big slice of cake--so yum. And the Wii Fit--we've been using it an it's awesome.
Happy Birthday Laurie! You're awesome!

1 comment:

OUR HOUSE said...

Wow Tim, you went all out. The cake really does sound delish. Who doesn't like chocolate covered strawberries? Way better than printer ink (what was Laurie thinking? - Oh right, she's just like me, too practicle for her own good. Joe is always telling me to ask for frivolous gifts, and not practicle gifts). Anyway, Happy Birthday Laurie!!! How old are you exactly? Tim was so vague;)