Al Heet Cave

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mail

In the US when most of go to the mailbox to check mail we find bills, flyers, magazines and sometimes a letter or card from friends and family (the bills and flyers make us sigh—but the letter or card normally bring a smile to our faces). Today our communication is changing and most us now use e-mail to send a receive "letters" from each other. I'm not knocking e-mail--I love it. But, there's something really special about a handwritten card, letter or note that you get in the mail.
When I was in the Air Force my Dad wrote me faithfully. No matter where I was in the world I knew I would get a letter from Dad at least monthly--and sometimes weekly. I started keeping them--hoping that one day I'll go back and re-read them (right now they're all boxes in San Angelo--in storage). When I married Laurie she sent letters and cards when I was in Korea for our first year of marriage (though she preferred e-mail—and I saved those).
Now we're overseas living in an area where getting the mail is iffy at best. My company gave us a stateside address and then from there they send the mail over here. Then the company picks up the mail and eventually I get it.
The first time I got mail here it was really exciting. It made it! The system works. When Laurie and Timmie got here Grandma Tanner sent them a card--I got teary eyed--she was the first person to send a real letter--handwritten, enveloped addressed and stamped--from the US! Grandma Tanner then sent Laurie a birthday card--and that was exciting.
This week Laurie and I got cards from Dad and Myrna. I went to the company office on Wed to drop off some paperwork and pictures of us (more pictures--if you ever work over here bring at least 20 passport size photos of yourself--you'll use them all). While at the company office Mr. Saad said "Mr. Tim, you have mail." He gave me an envelope--I opened it--house payment--rental receipt--and two cards with my Dad's handwriting. I opened mine. It was a birthday card and there was even a check in it. I have to admit that my eyes teared up just a little. It reminded me of how important mail is--communication with family friends is--we all need and want to stay connected.
Our family is having great adventures here--last night Laurie and I "found" 4 stores that we had been looking for--I think it was because it was 11 at night and the bright lights got our attention. But we still love getting mail--real mail--from families and friends back home in the US. It brings a little of the US to Saudi and reminds us of home—that place that can seem so far away.
Thanks Dad and Grandma Tanner for the cards and letters you've sent. We got mail!

4 comments:

Missy said...

Tim I have to agree! I love getting mail and sending mail. I think there's just something about the tangibleness of a letter or card that says, "I took time to say I'm thinking of you." There are days here in San Angelo, usually a Tuesday or a Wednesday where all I get is the weekly avertisements. I will confess a secret to you. In the summer or when I'm not in school, I order things off the internet, like netflicks, ebay stuff I don't need, CD's, scrapbooking supplies, etc....just so I can get something special in the mail. It's crazy, I know, but I love going out to that mailboz and the anticipation as to what might be inside. I hate the emptiness I feel when there isn't anything in the mail. You know I even pay the bills because I enjoy puting things in the envelopes and affixing the stamps. This all may be TMI, but I think the real mail is great too!

Harmony said...

So what is your mailing address???

Tim said...

Missy--
I loved it when I was taking college classes because I knew that they were going to send my books FedEx. I'd start tracking the books and the day they arrived I was always so excited. You're right--its' the tangibleness of the card or letter--the person's handwriting--it's something special. I have a letter that my Mother wrote to my Grandparents before my Dad came back from Vietnam. It's awesome to just look at the handwriting and read the letter--memories from long ago.
I love getting mail.

OUR HOUSE said...

I was always impressed with how faithful Laurie was at sending cards and letters. Very admirable. It inspired me to send out birthday cards to all the nieces and nephews. It makes me feel good.