Al Heet Cave

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fill it up

I like saying that when I pull into a gas station--"Fill it up." The attendants are so nice and courteous--washing your windows, checking under the hood. What am I saying and what century am I thinking of. I'm not that old but I do remember those days. I also remember the first time Grandma Dukes got out of the car and pumped her own gas. And I remember when I discovered you could use your credit card at the pump and pay for gas--you never had to go inside and see the cashier (I also remember having discovered this while living in Long Beach CA and then Laurie and I were in GA and I was irritated that Zebulon hadn't caught on to this great idea--you actually had to go inside and pay--but that was years ago and Zebulon is now part of the late 20th century).
Today I had to get gas in the car--and of course it was a first for me. I had picked out what gas station I wanted to go to--one that has pink lights at night which I think is funny--it reminds me of Vegas. So I pull in. The guys motion me to the pump. I pull the gas lever inside the car and roll down the window. Smiles. How are you. Handshakes.
They fill up the car, wash the windows, bring me some water and a box of kleenex (I'm not sure who marketed the kleenex but kleenex are everywhere--cars, restaurants, bathrooms, offices, etc..). I give the guys a tip--a little over a dollar each. More smiles and off I go.
I liked it. I liked pulling up and having someone pump the gas and wash the windows. I liked the water and box of kleenex. I liked the kind greeting and smile.
By the way the bill came to 19SR for 42 liters. I know that 19SR is a little over $5--to fill up the car. Wow! Next time I say "Fill it up" it'll be with a bigger smile (the company pays for 100SR a month--awesome).

2 comments:

LaurieSue said...

Hi Tim,
I'm so glad you now have your license and are able to drive on your own. Everyone is astonished when I tell them how cheap gas is in Saudi. By the way-- it cost $53.00 to fill our tank today. . .

Tim said...

Gas is just too expensive in the States. Incredible that it cost that much. I read an article that showed last year gas was $2.60 a gallon in the States--and now...
I did see three accidents on the way home yesterday--one from work and then two last night leaving the mall and coming home.