Ever since I arrived the group I hang out with has talked about an Italian restaurant they loved eating at. One day one of the couples went to the place and it was closed. So for three months these expats have been trying to find the new location. It's been found.
I don't know what the other restaurant looked liked, how the staff was or how the good the food tasted but Cento per Cento is awesome. From the moment we drove up and the big glass doors were opened for us I knew it was going to be a great experience.
The restaurant is downtown Riyadh--and I mean downtown. We drove by it the first time--swung around and pulled into the parking lot. Somebody greeted us at the door, smiled and told us to go upstairs. Up these beautiful winding wooden stairs we went. When we entered the dining area--wow--awesome.
The floor is wooden, marble and tile. There were at least 10 private rooms (this way the women can unrobe and unveil and eat without us men staring at them). The rooms sat 4 to 10 people. Then there were 4 tables in the "open." However, these had sheer curtains that could be closed--in case the muttawa came in--so women could unrobe and unveil in these areas also. We sat in the open.
Each open table has a square chandelier above it, a huge couch that sits at least three and then three plush chairs on the other side of the table. It was just incredible.
The service was excellent--all of our food arrived at the same time--it was all warm--it was served to the women first and then the men--the glasses were kept full of whatever we were drinking--it was a class act.
The menu had a really good selection. We ordered two large salads--better than Olive Garden--and two large calamari to get us started. They also brought out bread with herb butter and a side of crushed olives.
Then we all ordered our main dish. I had spaghetti with shrimp and garlic--heaven! Kay ordered lasagna--and it looked really good--she said it had the perfect amount of sauce (it wasn't swimming in the sauce). Bob got pizza and he said it was really good. All I know is everybody got quiet and just ate and ate and ate.
THEN we decided to have dessert. Tiramisu and creme Brule--the presentation was incredible--I can't even begin to describe it. The desserts were so light and delish--I'm sure there were no calories.
One thing I haven't mentioned yet is the presentation. The china was so unique and so cool looking that all the food looked appetizing just sitting on it. Every time they brought us a dish we were just as excited to see what the china looked like as we were the food. It was a great evening.
Merl and Chris paid for all of us! That was so thoughtful of them. Then Merl looked at me "Time, do you think this is the place for Laurie." I got a little teary eyed inside--but I said "Yes--she's going to love this place. This is where we're coming the day after she gets here." And that's what I want to do--and this time it'll be my treat.
It was just surreal in a way to be in this desert--with the Desert Warriors and their wives--a bunch of us Americans--all eating at this plush Italian restaurant--Cento per Cento.
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment