Al Heet Cave

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Futball---Soccer

In the US we call it soccer--the rest of the world calls it futball. It's ok to go with the flow--but then what would we call football--...
I'm not a big soccer fan--well I wasn't. Timmie was on a soccer team recently and I went to all of his games--there were only 6. It was nice. I enjoyed them. Timmie has talked about soccer since school started--we even bought him a soccer ball. Almost all the guys in his class play soccer--and they're good at it.
Recently Timmie asked me if I would buy him a Manchester United shirt. We went and looked at the price...$$$.. Wow. I told him maybe later. Timmie said ok. I found out that he told his Mom that he was saving his money to buy the shirt because he knew it was expensive. What a great son. Timmie had to get another tooth extracted and once again did it with no complaining. So when Laurie and I went shopping we bought him the shirt--he was with a sitter. When we got home and gave him the shirt he got the biggest smile--it was like the movies..hugs, kisses, thank you...what a great son.
I'm teaching 15 officers and they love soccer--like all Saudi's. There was a game being played at the stadium and they invited me to go with them. Here I am 43 being invited by these young 20 something year olds. Of course I'll go. They asked me what time I usually go to bed. I told them around 10 or 11--that caused some concern since the game wouldn't start until about 8 and end at 11ish and then we had to eat dinner. I assured them that I could stay out until midnight...but then I would start to get very tired. Smiles and ok.
The guys (Mohamed, Adel, Turki and Osama) came and picked me up at the compound. All were wearing jeans and were ready to host me. We parked across from the stadium so we had to cross two roads--they made sure we crossed together and all made it. We arrived at 5 to make sure we got good seats. We sat at the very top--what a walk (whew) and what a view (wow).
There was excitement in the air. The stadium was pretty full. All of us regular people sitting in the blue seats. Then there are the yellow seats for those that want to pay more and then of course the Royal Box (and one of the Prince's was there that evening--that is kind of wow).
All the guys were singing, clapping and dancing--this sea of white thobes and dark hair--it was a sight. The noise level was very loud--everybody is excited. It was Riyadh versus Jeddah.
Then a dust storm--sand everywhere--hair, clothes, nose, etc.. There was concern that the game would be delayed--but it wasn't. The game started on time.
I really got into it. The next thing I knew the first half was over. Over? It seemed they had only started to play. Now it was time for a 15 minute break.
Mohammed wanted me to meet one of his friends so we went to find the friend. Found him and had a nice chat. From the moment I entered the stadium until we left I was greeted with hello's, how are you, etc..I was the only American and I think the only non-Saudi at the game..it was kind of cool.
Finally the second half starts. A goal--now each team has one. Jeddah gets another and the game is over. I couldn't believe the game was over and it was time to leave.
We leave. Calls are made on mobiles to locate everyone. Two of the guys always stayed with me--to make sure I wasn't jostled or anything.
We get to the car. It's after 11. A discussion on where to go for dinner ensued. They really wanted to take me to an Indian restaurant..but it was too late for that. Then TGI Friday’s was mentioned..but again they were afraid the food wouldn’t arrived in time for to be home by midnight. I told them that if they wanted they could take me home...no..we had to have dinner. We ended up going to McDonald's--fast. They got me home by midnight.
I had a GREAT time. My hosts were awesome. They made sure I was comfortable and was enjoying myself. They even smuggled in water--hid it in their shirts. I am so grateful to them for taking me to the game and so grateful for their kindness and hospitality. The Saudi's can really be a generous people--you just have to get to know them.
Now I enjoy futball. I watch some on TV--not a whole game--but some. Timmie is really getting into now. There's a match between North Korea and another team being held here in Riyadh in May. I really want to go to that one..can you imagine--North Korea. Rumor is that women can go. I'm not sure that I would want to take Laurie. I suppose if we sat in the expensive yellow seats--but then I'd miss the clapping, singing and dancing...the blue seats have more fun. If you’re not a fan…watch some on TV. But to really enjoy the game go see a match live and then hopefully you too will become a fan of futball.

2 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

I am awed by the thoughtfullness and cordiality towards you, their guest. Amazing.

Harmony said...

Hey Tim! Thought I'd better comment so you know somebody besides Ruth is reading your blog. :-) Ryan was happy that you commented on my blog about his Pinewood Derby win. He misses Timmie. Ryan played soccer for the first time last summer. He enjoys it, but I just don't think anyone in the US gets into like they do in other parts of the world. Jeff is going to go to a game in Berlin this summer, but he says he won't feel right about going unless he buys an appropriately colored team scarf first. Ryan's favorite position is goalie because he doesn't have to run around as much. He gets overheated easily even without 100+ degree Saudi sun! It's fun to read about all of your experiences and adventures. It does sound like you are getting a bit spoiled over there though. :-) Keep posting!