Al Heet Cave

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fantasy life

Most of you know that we live on a Western compound (I really hate that word--makes me think of being in prison) in a huge villa with a pool. The compound is like a small town with a restaurant, very small grocery store, huge public pool, gym, etc.. We have workers all over that take care of everything--trimming trees, mowing, sweeping the streets, changing your light bulbs, taking down your curtains for cleaning and then putting them back up, people will deliver your groceries and food and on and on. It's a fantasy life here and if we're not careful we get caught up in believing it's real.
The other day I was talking with Peggy--a friend of ours. Her husband's company provides them with a car, Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, and a driver. Neither Peggy nor Ron really wanted a driver--but they got one. They also live on a nice Western compound. They're used to the driver now. He takes Ron to work and then goes back to their villa and waits for Peggy to go out. When she goes out he waits for her to finish shopping and takes her wherever else she needs to go and then he picks Ron up from work.
Peggy was telling me that a few months ago when her Mom was here visiting they went shopping. When they finished and were walking towards the door Peggy's Mom asked her how the driver knows to pick her up. Peggy said she just looked at her Mom--she had never thought about that--the driver just shows us and puts things in the car for her. We started laughing at the story because it's so bizarre to us regular people to have a driver. I mean Trump, Bloomberg and the President I know they need drivers--they're running billion dollar companies and a country--time is money and time is precious. But us?
Laurie and I have a part-time Maid, Maggie, and a gardener, Rajenda. When I come home on Monday I smile--the house smells so clean and fresh. The carpet has been vacuumed, dishes washed, bathrooms (6 of them) cleaned and everything dusted (except the blinds). Maggie also comes in 4 other days to clean up the kitchen and make the beds. I love having Maggie come over. I know I pay her but there's something nice about having someone take care of things for you. When I feel lazy I leave the dishes in the sink knowing that Maggie will clean them. I feel awful that I admitted that. But I really do appreciate Maggie and can't think of what life would be like without her. When I see Maggie on the compound I always smile and wave and she always smiles and waves back.
Our gardener, Rajenda, is a humble man from Nepal. He has a family there and the extra money he makes from me and some others he sends home. Rajenda takes care of watering the plants and hosing down the tile in the backyard (cleaning the bird poop). He even cleans up after I BBQ if I've left a mess. Rajenda washes my car at least once a week--but more if he feels like it needs it.
Last week after we came back from Bahrain the car was dirty. We didn't get home until 930pm. I wasn't worried about driving a "dirty" car. The next day was work. I get in the car and drive it to work. About half way there I realized that Rajenda had cleaned the car. But when did he do this--late Fri, early Sat? I don't know but he took care of me--and I've gotten used to it.
Here on our compound most people have a maid and gardener. I think most of us do need the maid with these huge villas. But most of us could take care of our own small yards--I used to mow our yard in Texas and Fl and that required more effort than watering--what am I doing with a gardener. I used to wash and wax my Merceds at least once a week--and here I've never even washed the car much less wax it.
Yet this is the life here. And it's not just on the compounds--this is how the Saudi life is. Saudi life is even more fantasy. When you go to a fast food restaurant you don't clean off your table--someone else will. When you're driving and throw some trash on the ground--someone will pick it up. If you don't want to carry your stuff to the car--someone else will. If you want something delivered--every store does and they unpack it, put it together and put it where you want and the list goes on and on.
We were in Bahrain last month and ate at Dairy Queen--yum. We got up to leave and didn't throw away our trash. Then we stopped--where was the person cleaning off the table--oh we're supposed to. So we went back and cleaned it off.
The Saudi life has pampered us. But we also know the extra money we give Maggei and Rajenda helps their families to have a higher standard of living (we're helping stimulate the international economy). We really do appreciate all that Maggie and Rajenda do for us. We tell them Thank you all the time. But it is a fantasy life here and you aren’t careful you begin to believe it’s real.

2 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

Tim, you pampered, spoiled punk! You guys deserve it, though, but only for a little while:)

Tim said...

HAHAHA. When Joe retires you all can come out and enjoy the fantasy life with us.