Al Heet Cave

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Rambles

Has it really been two months since I posted anything? Shame on me--ha--I really am busy living the Saudi life. And what a life it still is.
So what's been happening? Well.....we went to Bahrain again. This time we stayed at the Inter Con (that's the cool way of saying the InterContinental) Hotel--another 5 star. It was really nice--not as posh as the Ritz--but very nice. We arrived on Thursday and I thought I was going to go insane with all the traffic and no left turns--all right turns (darn those British). After getting irritated, lost, discouraged I asked Laurie to please call the hotel---she did--"We're on Lulu" "Yes it is busy..." "Yes" Yes" "Ok see you soon." That was all I heard. BUT 15 minutes later we were checking in at the hotel (and Lulu really was busy). That same day we went to a movie, walked around a mall and ate out. Slept good that night.
The next day was Friday--Church day. Bahrain has a building and Church members can meet openly--no missionary work. We had been given directions. Laurie even downloaded the address. So off we went. One hour later we finally found the building. They are so NICE! They invited us to stay for potluck—they had had a potluck a few days before with Elder and Sis Holland…they were visiting all the wards and branches in our Stake---all of them. So now we know when potlucks are and next time we will stay--we might even bring something.
That same day Laurie said she looked terrible--hair, face, nails, etc...She left the room and three hours later she came back feeling much better--and wow she looked awesome (her toenails were painted a nice red--yummy).
We went shopping on base on Sat and got some real US Wonder bread--soft, delish, white bread---ummmmmmm...it's gone now. We bought some other items and came back to Riyadh.
The drive to Bahrain took us three hours--I was speeding--going between 85 and 95 (the speed limit is 75)--I was just going with the flow of traffic. Coming back there was a sandstorm and it took us about 5 hours--and the front license plate has no more paint on it.
What else? Timmie is now a green belt. He passed his test and we're so proud of him. Timmie is also playing soccer and learning the game. He's in there playing and we're proud of him for that too. Timmie was also invited to a Saudi birthday party.
Now most b-day parties in the States are held at home, Mr. Gatti's, maybe take a friend to the movie. Here they have them at the malls--because all the malls have an amusement park for the children--some lavish and some small. I dropped Timmie off--the Moms came over and fussed over him. It was a 2 hour party so I wandered around the mall. Then I got bored and went to watch Timmie and his friends. I suddenly felt jealous. I realized I was barred from the party--because only the Mama's were allowed. In the States I would have been chatting and helping out--but here I can't. It irritated me and then I realized that this must be how Western women feel. It was very interesting to me.
Finally--well not finally since we had a visitor from Utah come and visit us--and that was incredible—read above!
Ok--finally--Laurie and I celebrated 10 years of marriage!!! Yay us! Wed night I went out with a new guy to "old" Riyadh--where you can bargain, etc.. I wanted to get Laurie a pashmini (sp) shawl and some jewelry (we were poor last year for our anniv). I found some beautiful shawls and bought two--then the man gave me one for free--I protested and told him that it was much too beautiful to give me--I offered to pay--but he smiled and packed it in my bag. I really was moved by that and almost hugged him--but now I'll be buying the shawls from him.
Then I went to the gold souk and found some earrings and necklace for Laurie--nothing Saudi gaudy--simple Laurie instead. I gave my gifts to Laurie the next day and she was pleasantly surprised. Then she gave me a beautiful poem that described the past 10 years--I got really teary eyed--my voice even choked up. Laurie's gift to me was so much better than anything I bought her.
In one month I will have been in Saudi for a year. It has been an amazing adventure and still continues to be.
Now we're planning our trip back to the States. Ahhh..the South in the summer...humidity and heat...we can't wait.

1 comment:

OUR HOUSE said...

Wow, I can't believe it's almost been a year. Time flies when the sand is pummeling your license plate.