I don’t usually write about Timmy. But a friend’s blog reminded me that time with our Timmy is short (he’s already 9 years old). I, like our friend, hope that what I’m / we’re doing is right for Timmy.
I’m so proud of Timmy..yes proud. It was 18 months ago when I met him and Laurie at the Riyadh airport. I still remember scanning the crowd and not seeing Laurie’s blond hair or Timmy’s red hair. For a moment I panicked thinking they had either missed the plane or were being delayed somewhere by security in the airport. Then I looked and saw a lone woman with a scarf on wearing a coat filling out paperwork. Near her was a red headed boy who did not look happy. I was proud of Timmy for leaving everything he knew behind and flying across the world to be with his Dad to a live in a foreign country.
I remember the first year of school…much bigger and academically challenging school than he came from. He kept a lot of stuff to himself but one evening he let it all out in sobs. What was really upsetting him were some bullies on the playground. After the evening of sobs he walked into the principal’s office the next morning, by himself, and told her about it. She took out a year book and had Timmy point out the boys. I was proud that he had the courage to go to the principal’s office by himself and point out the boys…the situation was resolved.
I’m proud that Timmy wants to do after school activities. He comes home excited looking over the list and picking two. Last time it was cooking and board games. Timmy would come home with recipes that we could make (French toast being his favorite he learned). This time around he wants to perform in the Wizard of Oz and baseball. I would have never done these activities and I’m proud that Timmy wants to do them and does them.
We’re not a sports oriented family but while we lived in Texas we signed Timmy up for T-ball. We all loved it. It was awesome to see Timmy go from hitting the ball off the T to seeing a coach pitch it to him and him hitting it. Here in Saudi he still enjoys playing baseball and basketball. I’m proud that he signs up each season for basketball….dribbles his heart out…makes some good shots…does his best. As for baseball he does well in that too. Last year was a little tough with the temps at 100….I made sure he drank plenty of water (but it was still tough). Timmy even got hit with the baseball and still kept playing and going. I’m proud of that.
I’m proud that he has developed a love of books. I love seeing him read. The school here promotes reading and he has to do a reading prompt each school day. But he reads even on the weekends. Timmy likes his adventure books or books about inventing something.
I’m proud that Timmy wants to listen to the scriptures, say family prayer and have Family home Evening. He wants to learn about religion. I don’t think I really cared one way or the other when I was 9…but Timmy does care.
I’m most proud that Timmy has learned and shows empathy, sympathy and inclusion. I know he doesn’t get this from me (I pretend not to care…because then I would get teary eyed). Laurie cares. But Timmy has a sense of empathy, sympathy and inclusion that is awesome. In Texas there was boy in his class who others excluded but Timmy always included him. When we left Texas Timmy’s teacher wrote him a note that said she hoped her son would grow up to be like Timmy (that brought tears to my eyes…still does). Here Timmy showed a friend empathy and sympathy when that friend had some of his friends die. Timmy told him that he knew what it was like to be without someone you really loved and liked. The counselor told Laurie that she got teary eyed when Timmy showed this awesome empathy and sympathy.
Timmy has his faults (messy room….leaves his stuff all over…) but we’ll work on that and one day, inshallah, he’ll learn the importance of a clean room, desk, house, etc… Timmy is a picky eater…again though it’s something we’re working on (and lately he hasn’t cried when I put veggies on his plates…he accepts them and nibbles at them).
I see a bright future for Timmy. But I hope that as he gets older that Laurie and I aren’t left behind or forgotten. I hope that Timmy will always want us around and to be included in his life. I hope that the memories Timmy has of his parents will always be good ones.
Yes, I’m proud of our Timmy.
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Timmy is such a sweet little guy!
Timmy is an awesome kid, and I don't think there's a chance in the world that you'll be left behind or forgotten by him!
Just makes me want to scoop him up and give him a big hug!! I always appreciated the way that he patiently tolerated Tyler's adoration of him, and would play with Tyler.
Making me cry here Tim!
What a wonderful tribute to your son, Tim. Timmy is a great kid, and it has a lot to do with the fact that he has GREAT parents!
I am proud of my Timmie and at 9 years of age he to was very active in church along with his Mom and I. We as parents always have the hope that our Children will love and respect us and include us in their lives. My Timmie is a great credit to his family and we love him as he loves his own Timmy.
Timmy is an awesome kid, kind and polite and funny. God blessed him with many gifts, but the greatest of those are the 2 awesome parents he was given who bring out the best in him.
Post a Comment