Al Heet Cave

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Getting Groomed

For 22 years I got a haircut from either the barber or the beauty shop (I liked the beauty shop best...friendlier) on base. The military has all these rules on how the hair should look, be cut, etc.. and I accepted that. Before the military Mom and Dad decided how my hair was cut. Then I retired from the military and realized I could do whatever I wanted with my hair. I love it when the guys decide to grow the pony tail...love is a pretty strong word...amused is more like it. Personally I like the clean cut look.
Before I left San Angelo a new hair salon opened (I can’t remember the name of it). I went in and asked if I could get my hair cut with scissors...no problem. Wow my haircut looked better. I went again a few days before flying to the KSA. At that appointment I also asked if she could wax my ears (I get hair on my ears now!!!!). The stylist said she had never done that but was willing to try. She waxed my ears and then yanked out the hairs...my ears were so clean and shiny (the stylist liked the way my ears looked and said she was going to recommend this to all of her male customers).
I get to the KSA and notice that most Saudi men are very well groomed...much more than just a haircut. So I felt confident that I'd be ok when it came to a bager. Our compound has a barber and he’s really good. The problems...only open twice a week and you have to book a month to 6-weeks in advance. Sometimes I just want to drop in.
One day I was very frustrated and needed my hair cut so I stopped at a nice place. The sign said it was a Turkish Barber. I've had my hair cut in Turkey and like it. I go inside. One young guy speaks some English. He’s a stylist. I get my haircut, shampooed, he uses string to “pluck” the hair from my ears AND he trims my eyebrows. Wow. I had never been so pampered. I went back two more times. The third time he was gone and the other guy did a good job...but when he “cleaned” my ears he burned the hairs off...yes burned (my ears looked good but it was little nerve racking).
I found another Turkish Barber near..relatively speaking..our compound. Very limited English but we manage to communicate. The second time I went they asked if I wanted a manicure and pedicure. Sure why not. Then he looked at my ears and nose. The next thing I know he’s stuffing hot wax up my nose...lets it cool and then yanks it out along with all the nose hair. Wow did it hurt. BUT the inside of my nose looked better. He waxes my ears...they look very nice. The manicure and pedicure are nice. Suddenly I realize this is why women go to the beauty salon...to get groomed and pampered. I liked it.
This last time I went I not only got my ears, nose, haircut, manicure and pedicure but they also did a facial and shaved me. Wow. This is the life. Go and get fussed over for two hours and walk out looking and feeling better. This morning the guy at the gas station mentioned that I looked better (you know it’s a good day when the gas attendant mentions you look good).
Now I don’t just get my haircut...I get groomed and I like it. It’s a whole new world.

7 comments:

Mom's Place said...

LOL! Tim! I love reading about your adventures over there! How are their prices? Comparable to here in the US?

LaurieSue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

For the grooming I got done that day it cost me about $70 including tips. My normal haircut, nose, ears, eyebrows trimmed is usually $20-25 with tips.

I deleted Laurie's comments because I didn't realize she was signed in so when I commented it came up as Laurie (I love you Laurie!).

OUR HOUSE said...

Joe and I are laughing out loud, especially at the end when the gas attendent compliments you. Great Post!:D

Gayle said...

Yea Tim...It is nice to be pampered for a couple of hours. I'm not sure about the wax in the nose...you should try having your upper lip waxed...now...that hurts!

LaurieSue said...

Thanks for not making it look like I had my nose, ears, and eyebrows trimmed. Lol.

Reading your post makes me want to go to Mariyah center for some pampering this weekend. . .

Anonymous said...

I just got caught up on your posts, thanks for making me smile! It's been a few months since I've checked in and seen your hyjinks--You should have a newspaper column.... :)