Is it really going to be Thanksgiving in two days? I’m not ready for it. Laurie has invited an eclectic group of people—I’m curious to see how it will all turn out. It has been an adventure trying to provide a “traditional” Thanksgiving dinner. But, do you always have to follow “tradition?”
I found frozen deep dish frozen pie shells! I love using the Marie Calendar ones—but I haven’t found those here. The ones I found look as nice and they were deep dish—I had to have deep dish. Timmie loves pumpkin pie—not just at Thanksgiving but any time of the year. So it’s 1045 at night and I’m baking two pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving—one with chocolate chips on the bottom (try it—the pumpkin with chocolate—delish!).
We have a Butterball turkey thawing in the fridge. We found it at Tamimi’s--$5 a pound. Laurie’s afraid that it’s not big enough—so I need to go buy a roast (it’ll probably be lamb).
Lucky for us we also found some stuffing mix. The store also had chicken broth so now I can make the famous stuffing—I’m not sure that it’s really famous—saying that it’s famous makes me good.
At Tamimi’s we found the softest rolls—they are so good. I’m buying fresh green beans tomorrow and some fizzy grape juice. I’m also getting potatoes—the ones from Lebanon—and making mashed potatoes. I’m hoping that Tamimi’s will have a pecan pie—if not I’ll live—but I do like some pecan pie on Thanksgiving.
We can’t find all the ingredients at one store—we have to go to at least two and sometimes three—I’m not sure why. Oh well, going from store to store is adventure—the traffic, prayer time, etc.. It’ll all be worth it though.
Thanksgiving Day is going to be stressful. Timmie has his final basketball game, then we have to rush home to put the turkey in, I really really need a haircut and Mr. Ali is only on the compound Thursday and Friday (I cannot go to Paris with this hair—I need to be groomed). Then the dinner and then bed.
The next day—Friday—is Family Fun day at school—but for Laurie it isn’t going to be much fun—she has to count the money and help make sure things are running smoothly. I'm not sure what I'm doing that day--taking Timmie around and having "fun."
Did I mention that I have to teach Seminary tomorrow—Wed—from 6 – 730 pm and then I’m going out to eat Indian food with my friend Dave (he’s going back to New Zealand—his salary is taxed at 39%--so it isn’t worth it for him to stay here unless…..but that’s a whole different story--he leaves soon). I’ve invited our General and other officers to come and eat with us—we won’t eat until around 830 or 9ish. But the holidays always seem to come with their own adventures--stress--whatever you call it.
I wish all of you—everybody reading this—a Happy Thanksgiving—whether you celebrate the holiday or not. I’m sure all of us can find something that we’re thankful for. I’m thankful for a great family—Laurie and Timmie, for a great job, for being in a place where we constantly have adventures and for all I’ve been blessed with.
Eat some turkey, have some pie, pass the rolls—Happy Thanksgiving!
Al Heet Cave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! I would love to have some of your deep dish pumpkin pie with chocolate chips - YUM! Regardless of what is going on we can all find so many things to be thankful for in our lives. The LeMay's are missing you all and wish you a wonderful holiday season - whatever that may bring - in your new home! Love Ame
Ame--
We miss you all so much! Wish you all were here enjoying this great adventure with us. We're coming to FL in Jun / Jul 2009--Disney! We have to make time for our families to get together.
Tim
Hope your Thanksgiving feast turned out as good this year as it did last year (that was fun). Happy Holidays! Oh, by the way, we told the ward how many turkeys and hams you said and I don't know if they believed us. They'll be sorry if they don't:)
I hope you got some pecan pie Tim. We are hoarding our last couple pounds of pecans from our trees in San Angelo, but I did make one pie for Jeff and my sister for Thanksgiving--it was yummy. Our pecan trees are one of the things Jeff misses most about Texas. Happy holidays to you and Laurie and Timmie!
Post a Comment