Al Heet Cave

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Meet the Teacher night

Yesterday was Meet the Teacher night. I loved it. As a parent I want to go and see the enviroment that Timmie is getting his education in. I want to see the classroom, samples of his work and to hear the comments from his teacher. I'm never dissapointed. I was really looking forward to this year since the school has an international flair to it. Another plus to this year is I got to see Madame Library's office (it's big and she was a hit!).
I grew up in the South. We all "looked" and "sounded" the "same." Going to school was no big deal. But here--wow. Last night there were American accents--and you how varied they can be--Arab accents, German, Australian, Canadian (Timmie's teacher--Mr Bennett--is Canadian) and so many others. It was awesome to hear all these accents speaking English.
It was also interesting to see the parents--and you can tell that they want the best education for their children. Just like the US some parents seemed high-strung while others were very laid back. Some were dressed in very nice clothes while othere were wearing jeans.
I really liked the variety. I even got to meet the new PTSA President--she's Saudi--and she's already invited Timmie to come to their house and play (a play date is supposed to be set up within the next two weeks--inshallah).
This is the most diverse school I've been exposed to. I hope that all the children learn to appreciate different cultures. I am so glad that Timmie has this opportunity--it's lik no opportunity he would have been able to have in our small town of San Angelo (but McGill was an awesome school and his teacher was the most loving teacher I've seen--I still get tears when I think of Ms. Nichols).
I feel completely safe at the school. The security there is better than here at the compound or the RSAF HQ where I work. They really protect the children and they take it very seriously. The cool thing is as soon as the guards saw Lauie they all smile "Hello Ms Laurie" or "Hello Ma'am"--they all recoginzed her. I had a great time at our Meet the Teacher night--the adventure of driving there--that's another blog.

2 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

That's one thing I worry about if we move to Utah - not much diversity for my children to experience. As little as San Angelo has to offer in that way, at least everyone isn't white. All of Cora's little cousins in Utah refer to her as their black cousin, because her skin is so dark, and they don't see a lot of that. Too funny. Or maybe not.

Tim said...

Ruth--
We had this family move from Provo to Palatka FL--small town. Pam was so "excited" to see "black people." She told us that in Provo there was only black guy--they all thought he was the coolest. I remember thinking--what kind of place do you live and there are only white people--then I visited Utah.