Al Heet Cave

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Visitors

I love visiting family and friends. I sometimes think of going on vacations and skipping visiting…but I really do enjoy visiting family and friends. I also love to have people visit us. In the States this was easy…just drive or fly and you had a free room at our house. Here in Saudi it can be more difficult. They only allow immediate family to visit. Immediate family means parents, grandparents and siblings. Which is kind of sad because there are SO many people we would love to host and have come and visit us here in the desert Kingdom. But we did have visitors!
Mom and Dad Wright came to visit us. My company immediately approved it and we were sent an e-mail from the Ministry approving the visit. Then our friends at Diran Visa, after some paperwork..e-mails..and phone calls, finally got Mom and Dad their visas.
Mom and Dad arrived on 11 Feb. Laurie made sure the room was perfect..making me drag stuff up there and help make the bed. New towels had been bought along with new pillow cases. Stuff for the bathroom..creams, shampoo and body wash…were put in cute baskets and ready. We even had chilled water for them (a tip we got from Val..she always has water in the guestroom).
Timmy and I went to pick them up at the airport. I wanted to get behind the doors and meet them in the luggage area. I figured it would be easier without Laurie (this is a man’s world). Laurie stayed behind at the villa to make sure everything was perfect. Timmy and I get to the airport. Up the escalator. Then down, because I had forgotten my wallet. Then up again. We consulted the board…the flight had landed. It shouldn’t be a problem to get behind the doors..mafi mushkala. Up we go to talk to the guard. I flash my million dollar smile…”Marhaba.” The guard looks at me..I was expecting a response.
“My Mother is here. It’s her first time and I have her abyaa. Can I meet her?” I’m still smiling.
“No.” This isn’t registering with me. I’m using my million dollar smile and that has never failed me.
“My mother is very old.” Mom Wright isn’t that old…but I wanted to meet them.
“No.” Hmmmm…this isn’t working at all like it’s supposed to.
“I work for the RSAF. See here’s my badge.” I give him my badge…still smiling.
“No.” Obviously he doesn’t understand…that’s the problem.
“I’m going to call someone that can explain who I am and why I need to help my Mother.” I call Capt Ziedan, the nicest Saudi officer and the one that got me to come over here. He doesn’t answer. So I start to call a Col that owes me a favor. But before I do….
“ID.”
I give him my RSAF badge. He looks at it.
“Dubai?”
“Yes. They’re coming from Dubai.”
He points to the tray. Timmy and I empty our pockets, walk through the metal detector and we’re in! (I knew my smile would work!)
There’s Mom and Dad at the immigration counter. They smile and wave at us. They finish up. One of the airport guys get their luggage…Mom puts on her abyaa..we go through security..then to the car.
They loved the villa. They loved that Laurie was here waiting for them. Ohhed and ahhed over their room.
For the next 13 days we had a great time. We went to Clock Tower (Dad loved taking pictures there…and so did the guys that he took pics of), to the malls, the camel souk, Fort Musmak, the top of Kingdom Tower where we could see for miles and old Riyadh (where history really does come alive if you listen..Laurie has a great post on this). We had an amazing time with them. We went places that we’ve been wanting to go to but haven’t. We saw things we haven’t seen since we’ve been here. But the best thing was just having visitors.
Timmy loved coming home and seeing his grandparents. Grandpa Wright would help with homework and ask questions to make sure Timmy understood. Grandma was here to ask about Timmy’s day and to shower him with her love.
Mom and Dad always told me how much they enjoyed eating whatever I had cooked. They both wanted to help Laurie with whatever she needed them to do (mostly she just wanted them to relax). In the evenings we sometimes watched “The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency” (on DVD…really good) or “As Time Goes By” (also on DVD and really good). Other evenings we were out and about.
The visit was over too fast. When I came home from work on Wed Mom and Dad were gone. Our compound transportation had taken them to the airport, along with Laurie and Timmy (Laurie and Timmy came back). The villa seemed empty.
Now we have to work on my Dad and step-Mother.
IF the rules ever change…ALL of you are invited to be our guests and put us to the test (ha)!

2 comments:

Mom's Place said...

Oh what fun! I bet they had a blast with you guys!!!

OUR HOUSE said...

I REALLY wish we could come and visit you. But I'm so glad that they at least allow family to visit. Glad that you had such a wonderful visit.