Al Heet Cave

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday Concert

Yesterday was the Holiday Concert at the American International School-Riyadh (AIS-R). I asked my boss if I could take time off to attend and he smiled and said yes. I planned for a 50 minute drive (even though the school isn’t that far from my office…the highways are packed in the afternoon). I used all 50 minutes.

I figured parking at AIS-R wouldn't bad since I have a pass that allows me to park closer to the school but the line was packed so I ended parking in the main parking lot and walking the “blue mile.” By the time I got to the concert hall…yes hall and it is very very nice…the concert had started. I was looking for Laurie and her assistant pointed to where Laurie was sitting and saving me a seat.

The 1st and 2nd graders were singing funny songs about playing outside in the snow and how they were bored with no school. They were dressed very festive in red shirts and had green and red scarves. It was very nice.

Then the “older” elementary children came out. They were dressed in dark pants and white shirts. They looked so clean and fresh…even angelic. I scanned the stage looking for Timmy. There he was in the back. I was barely able to see him. I mentioned something about sizing the children to Laurie. Laurie pooh poohed that. Then I remaindered her that in military careers hang in the balance on whether or not a person can size a squadron. All the parents started waving to their children…including me. Everybody was excited to see their child / children on stage.

As I sat watching and listening it was amazing. Here are all these children with different social, ethnic and religious backgrounds getting along. I loved seeing the all the dark hair, a smatterings of blonde and then the only red-head (our Timmy). There was brown skin, black, white, Asian, Arab, European, African and American, Christian and Muslim all standing and singing together. It was like looking a little UN. I hope that as these children get older and go through life they’ll remember they are friends.

The songs for the older group were more serious focusing on joy and peace. They sang a song holding candles (the ones with the light bulbs) all the lights were turned out and all you saw were the candles shining and heard their angelic voices singing. I got teary eyed. Even though Christ was not mentioned the song was about all the virtues that both Christians and Muslims are supposed to live up to (love one another and peace).

I was fascinated with a Saudi father. He was sitting two rows in front of Laurie and me and wearing traditional Saudi dress. He wasn’t reclining in the seat but instead was sitting forward with a huge smile on his face and clapping after each number. I don’t know which child was his but he was obviously proud of them and wasn’t afraid to show it.

When the concert was over I realized that it really had touched me. The message was peace, joy and love to all. Isn’t that what all of us want and hope for?

MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL!!! May all of us have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!

2 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

I've been so excited to see all the holiday decorations here in Korea, both on post and off - it really puts me in the right state of mind. There's a Christian church just down our street that has a beautiful nativity scene. I'm glad that you're feeling the peace of the season there on your side of the globe. Merry Christmas Dukes!

Unknown said...

Tim we to at home have the samefeelins when we see the Christmas lights in town and on buildings along with the Christmas songs being played through out the country. What a lovely time of year and the feeling does bring tears to ones eyes as they reflect on the true meaning of this festive time of year. Merry Christmas to you and family. We are thinking of you all and as always you are in our prayers.

Dad, Myrna, and Grandma