Al Heet Cave

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lost in Translation

Living and working in a foreign country is awesome. One thing I find challenging sometimes is trying to get someone to understand me or trying to understand them.
Recently I was having some problems with the car. So I called the mechanic. They said they would come and get it. Awesome. I wrote out a list for them...just three items. I get the call that they are at the gate. I take the car...look for the Hanco truck...nothing. Hmmm. Well I'll wait. I see two men walking...wearing slacks. It turns out these are the Hanco guys (I was looking for the blue coveralls they usually wear). I tell the guy I have a list. Then he says "Yes I will make a list."
"I have a list."
Him.."Tell me everything and I will make the list."
So I tell him. He starts to write. Then I give him the list.
"You have a list."
Me.."Yes."
Him.."Oh thank you sir."
Off they go. I get a call from them.
"Sir there is 15 riyals in the car."
"Ok."
"What do you want us to do with it?" (I keep money in the car for gas...15 riyals will almost fill me up..that's about $4).
"Leave it in the car."
"Keep it?"
Leave it."
"Keep it?"
"No, just leave it in the car."
"OK we will keep it."
"Ok that sounds good." I checked the armrest today...they kept the 15 riyals..and bought a drink with it..I threw away the can. It's no big deal to me..we aren't going to go hungry and maybe it made their day to have some extra money.
The gardener has been asking me about planting some more plants in the front. He took up the "old" ones. He normally puts in new plants twice a year...once in the spring and once in the fall. I've told him to wait a few weeks. BUT, we do have three planters on the front porch that are empty (I think).
"Rajenda. Are there plants in these?" pointing to the planters.
"Yes"
"There are?"
"Yes. We need plants in there."
"So, there aren't plants in these."
"Yes"
"Yes no plants?"
"Yes you need plants."
"Ok. Thanks Rajenda." He smiles and I tell him that I'll let him know what plants I want in the planters.
There are other "lost in translations" moments that I could write. These are the most recent ones. At times it does get discouraging...but then you have to handle it with humor because it is funny most of the time.

2 comments:

OUR HOUSE said...

I have a lot of those moments too. I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "Thank goodness Joe knows Korean!"

Val and Eric said...

Tim, I've been on both sides of that situation, mildly frustrated like you because they couldn't understand me, but also I've feigned understanding after several rounds of instructions by Spanish speakers in Colombia.